MXMs can be designed from scratch with the Maxwell Material Editor application (MXED), or you can download and use thousands of free, user-contributed materials here: http://resources.maxwellrender.com/
Click on the 'Referenced MXM' radio button to enable this mode.
- Open: Select the MXM to associate with the formZ material. The MXM to 'Shaded' Renderer dialog is presented after selecting the MXM to assign texture maps.
- Browse: Launches the MXM browser application. Double-click on an MXM thumbnail to associate it with the formZ material. (To instead cancel and return to formZ, click on the browser close button in the upper-left corner.)
- Download: Launches the online MXM browser. Search for materials by keyword or category, then, with a material selected, click on the Import button. The material will be downloaded to the location specified in the Resource Manager and referenced by the formZ material. (To instead cancel and return to formZ, click on the browser close button in the upper-left corner.)
- Delete: Remove reference to external MXM.
- Quote: Copy the name of the MXM file into the formZ material name.
- Edit: Edit the MXM in the Maxwell Material Editor. (For a blocking, modal version of the editor, hold down the cmd (mac) / ctrl (win) key while clicking on the icon.
- Update Shaded: Invokes the MXM to 'Shaded' Renderer dialog. See section that follows.
- Preview: Generate a preview of the material in the formZ sample scene (6” sphere, 6” cylinder, 6” cube, or 6” plane)
Use MXED: Display the preview embedded in the MXED instead.This dialog controls how bitmap textures in the MXM are assigned to formZ's 'Shaded' modes. This is necessary for editing the position, scale, and rotation of textures. If an MXM uses a bitmap texture, and one is not assigned to the corresponding formZ 'Shaded' material, a rendering error will likely occur.