For Maxwell Render V3, we have switched to the RLM License Server system (Reprise License Manager, in particular RLM version 10.1 bl2). This system is widely used by software vendors and will allow a much more robust license management. This has several advantages compared to the previous licensing system. One is that all the users on the computer will be able to run Maxwell. Furthermore, IT admins have much more flexibility in handling the licensing of Maxwell in larger corporate/education networks. You can for example launch a web browser to see how many licenses are in use and who is using them, or block specific seats by name depending on timezone etc.
RLM License Server administration
You can check if the server is running by opening an internet browser window and typing the URL: http://localhost:5054 in the computer that's running the server. This will show you the RLM administration options, where you can for example check the status of a license, see which computers are using licenses, or stop/start the server etc.
For IT managers and wanting to know more about the RLM system, how to adjust it to specific needs, or how to make different RLM compatible applications run from the same license server, please check the RLM administration manual
How to change the default rlm license port if other applications are already using it
You may have another application installed which already uses the default port 5053 to communicate with rlm. In this case you can change the port in your license files:
- Locate the maxwell_suite_floating.lic file in the computer that's running the RLM License Server and open it in a text editor. For the location of this file, please see the page.
- Edit the first line of the license to change the 5053 port to something else, such as 5055 (this port cannot be the same as the web administration port). Save and close the .lic file.
- In case you also have a maxwell_license.lic file in this folder, open and edit the port nr in this file as well.
- Reboot your computer for the RLM License Server to pick up the changes or perform a Reread/Restart command at the rlm administration website.
- Now Maxwell should connect to the server using this new port.
- You need to open the maxwell_license.lic file on all the computers that are running Maxwell and also edit the port nr in these files.
How to make Maxwell Render work with an already existing RLM License Server
Many applications use RLM for license management. If you are already running a RLM License Server you do not need to install an additional license server for Maxwell but you can reuse the existing one. In order to do so please follow these steps:
- Download the file nextlimit.set (it's in a zip archive so unzip it after download) and copy it where the existent RLM executable ("rlm.exe" in Windows, just "rlm" in OSX and Linux) is located.
- Copy the maxwell_suite_floating.lic file generated with the license activator to where the rest of the license files are located.
- Send a reread command to the RLM License Server to load the Maxwell Render license file. You can do this by opening a browser window in the computer that's running the RLM License Server, typing in localhost:5054 and in the RLM interface that appears, press the Reread/Restart servers link from the left hand side, then the Reread/Restart button on the page that appears.
The RLM Licensing system cannot work in virtual environments, i.e VMARE, Amazon cloud, Parallels or other virtual environments unless it is specifically allowed for in the license.
It is only necessary to install ONE instance of RLM on your entire network and NOT on each of the computers that will run Maxwell. Installing several instances of the RLM License Server on your network can result in conflicts and possibly licensing errors.
RML can have problems to handle IDs in conditions with many ID candidates, i.e. too many HDDs/SSDs and network adapters including virtual and pseudo ones, even if the ID assignation is correct. In those circumstances, removing some of those HDDs and/or network adapters not in use will avoid the high concurrency and make RLM work properly.