1. "The material preview scene cannot be found."
This is related to the system environment variables. This error message shows up when you are trying to load Maxwell Studio without a layout. This happens because you had a previous version of Maxwell Render installed in another path and your MAXWELL4_ROOT environment variable has not been changed correctly when you installed a new version. This means that the software is still referenced to the old path. It’s easy to resolve this issue. Revise the MAXWELL4_ROOT environment variable and update the path, rewriting the new installation path in the corresponding window.
2. "MAXWELL4_ROOT environment variable not found”
It has come to our attention that the installer is apparently having difficulty satisfying the prerequisite of finding MAXWELL4_ROOT on some installations. The installer has always required this, but it seems that the Maxwell installer may be setting MAXWELL4_ROOT only at the User level. So, if you get an error during the installation, indicating that Maxwell Render could not be found, or Maxwell Render doesn't start, please edit your machine's Environment variables, adding a System Environment variable called MAXWELL4_ROOT, which points to your Maxwell Render directory, and another called MAXWELL4_MATERIALS_DATABASE environment variable pointing to your material database folder (usually inside the Maxwell 3 installation folder).
The two environment variables should be:
- Name: MAXWELL4_ROOT Value: C:\Program Files\Next Limit\Maxwell Studio 4 (or the location of your Maxwell install if different from this default one).
- Name: MAXWELL4_MATERIALS_DATABASE Value: C:\Program Files\Next Limit\Maxwell Studio 4\materials database (or the location where you installed the Material Database, if different from this default location)
The System Environment variables are located in the lower box, as seen here:
Environment variables may be accessed from:
- going to the Start menu
- right-clicking 'Computer'
- clicking 'Properties'
- in the dialog box, clicking the 'Advanced System Settings' link
- clicking 'Environment variables'
- going to the Start menu
- right-click 'Computer'
- choose 'Properties'
- click 'Advanced system settings' on the left hand side of the window that opens
- in the window that opens go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the Environment Variables button
Windows 8 or 10
- tap Windows key
- type Environment Variables and hit Enter
- System Properties window will open
- Click Environment Variables button
1. I get the error that the RLM License Server is not running. How do I install it?
- The RLM License Server installer is located in the disk image. Simply run it from there, no need to copy it. If you get an error message saying" RLM License Server cannot be opened because it is from unidentified developer", go to System preferences > Security to change the settings for running applications in your system, and allow Maxwell, or the RLM License Server in case you are installing the licensing server. After they have installed you can put the security settings to default.
- Reboot your computer after RLM is installed.
- Check that the RLM License Server has been installed and running by opening a browser window and typing localhost:5054. The RLM License Server interface should appear
- Continue with the licensing procedure described here.
2. I get the error "XXXXXX cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer"
Go to System preferences > Security to change the settings for running applications in your system, and allow Maxwell, or the RLM License Server in case you are installing the licensing server. After they have installed you can put the security settings to default.